Sunday, December 27, 2009

Vacation from a vacation.

It was night, about 9:30 p.m., when I arrived on the beautiful island of Turks and Caicos with my family. It was misting outside, not raining, and the air was warm and sweet. Though it was late and we had just experienced a strenuous, argumentative 12 hours of traveling from Chicago, when we stepped into the lobby, we were all immediately at ease. We were at ease knowing that the next seven days were going to be scheduled around eating, lounging, swimming and drinking. We were at ease knowing that everything would be taken care of for us. We were at ease knowing we were away, and that we didn't have to go back for a week.

Yes, I am on winter break from my senior year of college. And yes, I did have a week of lounging in Chicago, in my house, mostly in my bed, before I made my way with my family to the Caribbean. But sometimes a break at home isn't enough. When you go home, you go home to your own comforts, to your family, to your friends, but you also go home to things that you wish you could escape, even just for a little while. I'm fortunate enough to enjoy just a few precious days in beautiful weather, relaxing on a break from life. Going on vacation, especially just with your family, allows you time to think, to re-evaluate, and most importantly, to breathe.

So, I will go back come the end of our gorgeous, relaxing vacation away from home. And I will go back to the remainder of my actual vacation from college. But there's nothing quite like being completely separated from everything you know, from technology, from your cellphone, and knowing that all you need to think about for a week in paradise is sun or shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment