Saturday, November 28, 2009

Times change, but people don't.

So, I've been home for over a week for Thanksgiving break, and unfortunately, tomorrow brings this much needed rest to an end. Turkey was eaten, hours and hours of sleep were acquired, but one of my favorite things to do when I come home for a break from school is to see my friends from home. We're all homebodies, girls who love being with our families, sitting in our respective beds and watching re-runs of Sex and the City. But we always make sure we see each other, even just once. it's inevitable that we'll end up sitting at Alyssa's house, me, Alyssa, Eve, Diana and Hannah, eating, catching up and just relaxing. We did just that on Wednesday night, with three hours on Alyssa's couch eating malted milk balls, a classic since we were in grade school, and catching up. There's never any doubt that we'll pick up right where we left off months before, and we've been doing this routine for almost 17 years. We've all gone through changes: boyfriends, breakups, school mishaps, family illnesses, anger, jealousy, relationship strain and even spans of time without talking. But nothing has changed. We're all the same little girls we were when we first became friends, the same girls who called gatherings 'play dates.' I leave my bed, my cozy, amazing bed, for very few things over Thanksgiving break. But seeing my friends, seeing them the same way we've always seen each other, is the first thing I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment